Friday, September 14, 2012

Frederick's Words

 Come share other poets or your own words at Random Noodling on this Poetry Friday.

I have been immersing myself and my students in Leo Lionni's works. I love his stories, their message, the illustrations. One of my favorites is Frederick. He is a poetic mouse, one of five in a family. His purpose is different from his other family members. He offers words. Here are some of Frederick's (Leo's) words...

"Who scatters snowflakes? Who melts the ice?
Who spoils the weather? Who makes it nice?
Who grows the four-leaf clovers in June?
Who dims the daylight? Who lights the moon?

Four little field mice who live in the sky.
Four little field mice . . . like you and I.

One is the Springmouse who turns on the showers.
Then comes the Summer who paints in the flowers.
The Fallmouse is next with walnuts and wheat.
And Winter is last . . . with little cold feet.

Aren't we lucky the seasons are four?
Think of a year with one less . . . or one more!"


Leo Lionni has many other stories. You can check out books, videos and biographical information told by Leo himself at Random House.

4 comments:

  1. Lionni's works are still popular after all these years. I'm partial to Swimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, I love Frederick and the way he brings color and hope to his family's drab winter world! Thanks for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just taught a poetry lesson using Frederick. It's one of my favorites, Betsy. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete